Russia is the largest country in the world and there are endless opportunities to experience beautiful scenery and interesting cities and cultures in the many time zones of the big country. From the dunes of the Baltic to the Pacific coasts, Russia is covering major parts of both Europe and Asia.
Moscow, the Russia capital in the European heartland, is the largest city in Europe, and there are sights from ancient Russia, the Soviet era and the modern country, while the splendor of the imperial era is best seen in the cultural stronghold, Saint Petersburg, with all its lavish palaces.
Kaliningrad on the Baltic Sea shore, the Golden Ring around Moscow, Novosibirsk and Irkutsk in Siberia and Vladivostok on the Pacific coast are just some of the many provincial cities, each with beautiful and unique sights. Often there are unforgettable churches and monasteries as well as grand buildings and monuments to be visited.
Russian nature can be enjoyed from the windows of the Trans-Siberian Railroad, and some of the highlights in the country are the Altai Mountains, Lake Baikal, and volcanoes of Kamchatka Peninsula. A river cruise along, for example, Volga is also a great way to see the landscapes at a leisurely pace.
- Moscow: 12,380,884
- St. Petersburg: 5,281,579
- Novosibirsk: 1,602,915
- Yekaterinburg: 1,455,514
- Nizhny Novgorod: 1,261,666
Find cheap flights and hotels
- January 1: New Year's Day/Новый год
- The days after January 1st: New Year's holiday/Новогодние каникулы
- January 7: Orthodox Christmas/Рождество Христово
- February 23: Defense of the Fatherland Day/День защитника Отечества
- March 8: International Women's Day/Международный женский день
- May 1: Day of Spring and Labor/Праздник Весны и Труда
- May 9: Victory Day/День Победы
- June 12: Russia Day/День России
- 4 November: Day of Unity/День народного единства